Magazine Front Cover Sketches 




The first sketch is one of the main ideas that came to my head when I was thinking about the cover. I thought of a Kobe jersey because of how it tied back into sports magazines and the 2 year anniversary was prior to this sketch. I first started off with the main image and I basically went in blind. I just decided to draw it from the top of my head but than soon realized that it would not come out as I like. I clearly had messed up so my next initial thought was to think about what a jersey looked like and I erased my errors. Even after thinking about what a jersey looked like I decided to redraw near the arm holes and I still had a unusual drawing that did not really match a jersey. So the next part of my process was to still fix this main image because the main image is very important to magazines. I decided to look up pictures of 'back of Kobe Bryant jersey' and then I used that as a reference to create my main image. I fixed the errors I had and then had to layout other vital pieces of a magazine. The masthead is single handily the second most important piece of the cover aside from the main image, so no other place to put it rather than the top of the magazine. Putting the Masthead on the very top just made sense because of how it where it is usually put in most magazines and the idea of having it there would flow well. The selling line is obviously smaller and right under the masthead because that's where it is in typical magazines and sports magazines.  The main cover line was places where it was because of how it fit and flowed with the main image right there. It felt like an ideal spot because it would help persuade a  message near the main image. Cover lines were put where they were put because of they need to be put in spots where it can be viewed at in different angles of the magazines and keep the eyes of a viewer moving through out the cover. Barcode was places where it is typically places in most magazines. 
The second sketch above is what also came to mind when creating a sports cover. The main image above is a basketball player shooting the ball. I initially worked my way down on the human creating the head first and then everything beneath. The most troubling part was the arms. The arms are still very bad but they are just a sketch. When first creating the sketch the arms were very uneven in size, the second thing I did to the main drawing was mainly fix the proportions of the arms so that they could be a lot more even and not very unorthodox looking. Barcodes and cover lines were all put in the same positions and same reasons as sketch 1. Sketch 1 and 2 also differed in main images and also masthead placements. I decided to have a masthead half and half on each side of the backboards so that it looks more unique.
Sketch 3 above contains a main image of a bunch of different balls for different sports. The main image I sketched was so that the main cover did not have to feel like the main image felt unified to one sport. This shows a variety of sports and mainly the most popular sports in America besides hockey. I first started with adding the basketball to the page. I made the basketball from the top of my head and had no issues with it .I then created the football from memory but the problem was getting the shape of the football portrayed on the paper in the best way it can. Another issue was where to add specific details like the stitching and the shape of the NFL logo. So when I  could not quite figure out the issues I decided to use the internet to my advantage and added the details I needed. The baseball and the soccer ball were both created from my memory and I also had no issues with them. The masthead was in a diagonal position because it helped contrast to the main image and help focus on the both of them. Adding the main cover line under the balls was there so that it could help be another main focus of the cover but also being in a good spot. The barcodes and the other covellines are just in placements that they would usually be in. 

This 4th sketch has the main image of a football helmet because this has clear significance over modern magazine covers for sports. My process was that this is what usually be in a recent sports magazine cover because of the NFL playoff season occurring. At first when creating the helmet I had the base of the helmet but the other parts that sickout were a little challenging. To help my sketch I decided to look up a drawing as a reference and used that to sketch that part. The masthead was the second part that I decided to sketch and like sketch 2 I made it partial on each side. The masthead design flowed and fit with the helmet and made sense. The cover lines are now on the top of the cover and are usually different from what  most magazines are like. The barcode is where it is traditionally at and it wont usually change.  


 The 5th sketch is just a sketch of the Cincinnati Bengals logo and the other pieces of the magazine. My first initial step was to create the Bengals logo because of the win they got for the AFC championship. I created the logo by referencing an image to get the right design on it. My second step was creating the masthead at the top because that would not interrupt would the flow of the main image. The main cover line also fits there because there is empty space and its good right there. The cover lines are also in spots that help get points across and the barcode is once again in the same spot. 


Comments

Popular Posts